Politics

A Man with Few if Any Redeeming Qualities

Forgive me, for this is an unashamed polemic. Gratuitous and nasty. Right, that’s the hook done and dusted.  Now, let’s get on with it.

One tends to be instinctively antipathetic to political opponents, even allowing that you might agree with some of their policies.  It’s a visceral, not an intellectual, reaction.  You will probably notice how it can even extend to physical appearance — or is it my imagination that his smile is a  weird rictus?

It’s not universal.  Gough Whitlam, until recently our worst prime minister, was a hard man to dislike.  All (or most of) his disasters were made with good intentions. Disliking Paul Keating, on the other hand, was a doddle, and continues to be so.

Albanese, however, is in a different league.  The Office of Prime Minister has seriously exposed this hollow man.  As he continues to pile lie upon equivocation upon blame-shifting upon bluster, I have found it easier and easier to dislike him.  With his recent moral vacuity on Israel and the ICC, he has now achieved the ultimate nadir. He is contemptible.

Some might quibble with my choice of words and opt, instead, for detestable.  But they are not the same.  I will explain the difference later.

My contempt for him is not visceral.  It is an intellectual response to the contempt in which he, clearly, holds the Australian people, me included.  His contempt is manifested in the pathetic and laughable defensive response he proffers to any hard question.  People dislike being taken for fools. Here are some examples, first from the last election season.

Karl Stevanovic: Will you please answer the question. Will you be increasing taxes?

Albanese: I’ve answered the question. We will be announcing our measure on multi-national tax evasion.

This is a Prime Minister whose only discernible vision for Australia, apart from platitudes and ‘fighting Tories’, was the Voice.  From Hansard 31 Jul 2023:

Ms LEY: My question is to the Prime Minister. This month the Prime Minister told Ben Fordham that the Voice ‘is not about a treaty’. But in May the Prime Minister said that treaty and truth telling are very much a part of the next phase, if you like. And one of the things that a Voice to Parliament would be able to do is to talk about Makarrata—the need for agreement making and coming together after a conflict. Why did this tricky Prime Minister say one thing to one group of Australians and completely the opposite to another?

Mr ALBANESE: I thank the member for her question and I thank whoever it was who interjected about my T-shirt because, yes, Ben Fordham has exposed the fact that at a Midnight Oil concert I wore a Midnight Oil T-shirt. I know! Hold the front page! At the Oil’s last ever concert I wore an Oils T-shirt. What I said on Ben Fordham was that the referendum isn’t about a treaty and isn’t about truth. It’s about one thing. It is about voice. It’s about recognition and it’s about listening to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people so that we get better results. That’s what it’s about. But the opponents of the Voice—you wonder why. The member who asked the question said this on Insiders on 23 July: firstly, ‘I want to see constitutional recognition of our First Australians.’ Well, we’re all agreed then. So tick, tick.

From Hansard Augn 3, 2023:

Mr DUTTON: At Garma this weekend, will the Prime Minister tell participants that, despite last year giving them ‘a solemn promise to implement the Uluru Statement from the Heart, in full ‘ through Makarrata treaty-making and truth-telling, his position is now, as he told ABC radio yesterday, that he has no plans and sees no need for a national treaty? Is the Prime Minister’s problem one of competency, or does he just say whatever he thinks people want to hear?

Mr ALBANESE: I thank the Leader of the Opposition for his question. I once again invite him to go to Garma, to actually talk with Indigenous Australians and to move away from his dirt unit and sit in the red dirt there in Arnhem Land. There he can explain his position on the Uluru Statement from the Heart.

Let’s leave it there on the Voice, despite there being further and copious examples of albofuscation. Albanese must know he isn’t even fooling himself with these smugly delivered half-smart responses. So, how many of us does he think he is fooling?  Just how dumb does he think we are?

How about those Stage Three Tax cuts? From Crikey! in Jan of this year:

The prime minister reaffirmed the stage three tax cuts, to come into effect from July 1, will still go ahead. “The government’s position hasn’t changed … inequality is an issue and the government has looked at ways in which we can improve that position”.

Jan 24, 2024:

My determination and my job is to get the best outcome for Australians. It’s to respond to the circumstances which we confront … My job isn’t to say, ‘I’ll just wring my hands about cost-of-living pressure that people are feeling’. My job is to respond, to seek advice, and then to make a difference. To make the right decision, not the easy decision.

That was quick, but then, he was only just getting into his stride.   Here, courtesy of the ABC, from the detainee debacle:

Mr Albanese this morning criticised the independent board’s decision to remove the monitoring device.

“I think that’s a wrong decision by that board, which they make the decisions independent [of government],” Mr Albanese said.

“It is an outrage that this occurred.”

We know that decision was made by a ministerial delegate on the advice only of the government-appointed (not independent), laughingly titled Community Protection Board.

And finally, Albo on the ICC decision, roundly condemned by the US and other of our allies, to seek arrest warrants against Israeli PM Netanyahu:

“I don’t comment on court processes in Australia, let alone court processes globally in which Australia is not a party,”

Not skipping a beat, he then went straight into commenting on the matter of Julian Assange, now before the UK Supreme Court.

But this one, as reported by Sky News, really takes the cake:

Speaking at a press conference in Brisbane on Thursday … pressed unrelentingly on the matter, the Prime Minister eventually said the ICC’s arrest warrant was “up to” the Howard government to “explain”.

He said the court was “signed up to of course not by my government but by the Howard Government when Alexander Downer was the foreign minister, so it’s up to them I think to explain those decisions at that time.”

Albo has form in blame-shifting but in the above he plumbs new depths.

But we were forewarned.  Who can forget how much he stole from The American President.

Albo: In Australia we have serious challenges to solve, and we need serious people to solve them.

Michael Douglas: We have serious challenges to solve, and we need serious people to solve them.

Albo:  Unfortunately, Tony Abbott is not the least bit interested in fixing any of them.

MD: Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving them.

Albo:  He’s only interested in two things.

MD:  He is interested in two things.

Albo:  Making Australians afraid of it.

MD: Making you afraid of it.

Albo: And telling them who’s to blame for it.

MD: And telling you who’s to blame for it.

For Albanese, ‘sorry’ really does seem to be the hardest word.

Finally, to my semantic question.   I see detestation as dislike taken to its logical extreme.  I see contempt as pity taken to its logical extreme.  Unfortunately, Albanese lacks the substance to be detestable, so he can never aspire to be in the same league as, for example, Paul Keating or even his own Energy Minister Chris Bowen.

32 thoughts on “A Man with Few if Any Redeeming Qualities

• padmmdpat says:

Bob Santamaria once described himself as the most hated man in Australia – and yet he was politically telling the truth about Australia. So where does that leave Albanese?

• exuberan says:

Thoroughly enjoyed the article until I got to the last two words of the last paragraph

• STJOHNOFGRAFTON says:

“Forgive me, for this is an unashamed polemic”. Your statement almost qualifies for the confessional booth or even a down on your knees prayer of forgiveness. If you had added Lord after the ‘Forgive me’ it would have. Anyhow enough of my drollity. That said, I fully agree with your sentiments. I find it astonishing that anyone could like that bloke. But then I am reminded of the saying: there’s someone for everyone. After all, his fiancée, who I think is ‘not a bad looker’, must think he’s worthwhile.

• Podargus says:

Regrettably, many females make their judgements about mates based on resources, usually money. Airbus Albo wouldn’t be short of a quid.

• john mac says:

There is that, but ideology (more than true love I suspect) is the glue between labor/green relationships. Lost count of how many fellow travellers from the unions/media/ABC/ and general left are married or partners.

• christopher.coney says:

Agreed.
      His fiancee probably likes him.
      And the Labor caucus voted him leader of the party.
      And, oh, I nearly forgot, about 9 million voters chose him as PM over Scott Morrison.

• Botswana O'Hooligan says:

C’mon you blokes, give our P.M a fair “go” for he grew up in a –shoe box in midddle of road– type environment and that’s tough, very tough, and having survived that hardship he never had to hold down a real job ever, so at age 60 odd after bludging on the taxpayer for his adult life he gets the top job and shows us how to bugger up our country in an easy canter. We mustn’t forget Malcolm the –life wasn’t meant to be easy bloke– who allowed the Lebanon to export a whole bunch of undesirables along with the good Christians, Gough for Kemlani and PNG, the other Malcolm –lightbulbs/minister for water/snowy two– and the Airline Pilots all time favourite in RJL Hawke who couldn’t even make a first solo flight, Keating is right up there as well, so when comparing a rotten apple with other rotten apples, Albo has a way to go yet.

• Lazlo says:

That’s right. Gough had left a last piece of Labor’s White Australia Policy to keep the undesirables out and it was working quite well until that do-gooder Mal decided it was unfair and removed it thus changing our country forever by introducing the jihadists.

• en passant says:

‘Albo has a way to go yet’ – Let’s hope so – and the sooner he goes the better

• Jack Brown says:

Albo getting a tattoo of Jesus wearing the crown of thorns on his upper left arm to woo back working class Christians to the fold of Labor voters who disliked its progressive policies was pretty indicative of his mentality.

• lbloveday says:

When did Albanese get that tattoo?

• lbloveday says:

And when, how, did he have it removed?

• Jack Brown says:

I didn’t see it at the time but recently saw reference to him having one and Googling showed him having it done in 2021 as part of establishing his working class credentials with conservative Labor voters browned off by his progressive policies. It showed him left sleeve rolled up in a tatoo parlour being worked on and a pic of the image. There were hardly any other links so it could have been a fake tatoo and the whole thing a publicity stunt but if so that only adds to his flim flam man caricature.

• lbloveday says:

That would be the damascusdropbear.com.au site, which at the top of the page, just above the “image” proclaims “FAKE NEWS FOR THE FAITHFUL”.
          QED – it is a photo-shopped or whatever image with Albanese taking no part.
          Few would to have a lower opinion of him than I do, but there are plenty of facts to criticise him about.

• cbattle1 says:

I agree that Gough was somewhat of a lovable buffoon, but I can’t get beyond my impression of Albo as a snivelling little Union Apparatchik!

• sabena says:

I have no doubt that in personal discourse, the PM is congenial.However,that is where it ends.He is utterly untrustworthy,and incompetent to boot.

• RB says:

The expression “smash her” pretty much covers the value of Mr Albanese’s views.
    The video is instructive, and the bile is apparent.

• GaryR says:

I still feel the best description of our PM was in an article by The Mocker, titled ‘Albanese has over-estimated himself his whole political life’, The Australian, 25 April 2024. (BTW, does anyone know the identity of this brilliant writer?)

• christopher.coney says:

Gary, why can’t you be charitable in the way that Morrison was when he said that to become Prime Minister of Australia from the sparse and difficult circumstances into which Albanese was born is an extraordinary achievement?

• ARyan says:

Labor, as we have all come to realise now, is unashamedly middle class, contentedly fuddling along in a rather dull and complacent middle-class continent.
    Albeit with its rigidly categorised 2% home-grown generational underclasses, which are funnelled into and governed by the various social service departments, for reasons that they are mostly natural, as opposed to nurtured in origin. Nurtured often being an expensive and ineffective ideal, proven by continued dependence and recidivism. Of course they don’t matter so much, their numbers being constant and relatively small.
    We also have our immigrant diasporas though, which continue to be highly publicised and stoically misunderstood. Many of these people come from the very nations that we despise and patronise – and they know that all of that too well now, thanks to our wide and wildly generous social media.
    It doesn’t really matter who is PM, and the role has become increasingly irrelevant in all of our Western democracies, both for candidates and electorates alike. It is only war and the very grossest of natural disasters that require true leadership, and our equally despised and patronised “developing nations” have all of that turmoil in spades. Their respective leaderships strategically controlled by us, of course. Anything to stop them, in their sheer numbers and fatalistic determination, from claiming a share of our creature comforts. So we need to be very grateful for compulsory voting here too, of course.
    It is therefore pointless and time-wasting to grizzle here in long, boring, but no doubt well-paid articles, about current inconsequentialities.

• christopher.coney says:

A few months ago Peta Credlin wrote a piece in The Australian where she reflected on how nastily she was treated over some time by some of her Liberal Party colleagues when she was working for Abbott in his government. She said that she was treated so badly that it was really running her down personally. And it seems that this effect on her was well-known and widely known. In this piece, Credlin pointed out two Labor leaders who offered her some consolation during this time, one was Bill Shorten and the other was Anthony Albanese. I think readers ought to recall Credlin’s point here when it comes to the visceral dislike that many of us feel for politicians whose policies and philosophies we detest.

• Ross Tucker says:

The trouble with you blokes is that you listen to him.
    Be like the most Australians and don’t listen to him.
    Then you will find him not so bad.

• Watchman Williams says:

Cataloguing the lies of Anthony Albanese could become a full time career. He is the natural and inevitable product of that corrupt entity whose fundamental and foundational ethic was described by one of its apparatchiks as “Whatever It Takes”.

• David R says: