Welcome to Quadrant Online | Login/ Register Cart (0) $0 View Cart
Menu
August 19th 2018 print

James Allan

Malcolm Turnbull’s Shameless Doormats

Can you believe this for-the-moment Prime Minister shared the NEG legislation with Labor while giving his own government the mushroom treatment? Not so long, and even allowing for Malcolm Turnbull's arrogant incompetence, I wouldn't have found it credible. But that's exactly how a leader without nous treated a party without pride

liberal doormatOkay, this will be short: Who votes in favour of legislation they haven’t been allowed to see — legislation the other main party, the one you’re supposed to be competing with, has been given on the sly to read. And by your own Prime Minister, no less?

Think about that.

People laughed at the Democrats in the US when they found out they had voted for Obama’s ‘Affordable Care Act’, aka ‘Obamacare’, without having seen the draft law.  That’s pretty bad but, on the other hand, President Obama didn’t quietly slip the legislation to the Republicans so they could have a good gander at it, while expecting his own side to do as he commanded.

Yet that’s precisely what Mr. Turnbull and his Black Hand praetorian guard did this past week.  Frankly, it beggars belief.  I’ve never before heard anything like it happening in any other Westminster country.

You’d think any Coalition MP with even a trace element of self-respect would go ballistic at this act of contemptuous treachery against the Liberal Party by its own leader.  Well, if there’s been much of that they’re keeping it to themselves.  For my money I’d have thought that, at some point, pride and the belief that some things are more important than your nice big Canberra salary would require you to say ‘Enough is enough!’

Apparently not.  I understand the power of the Biblical injunction that pride goeth before destruction.  But in this case the total lack of pride, and the unwillingness of these MPs to do anything about it, seems overwhelmingly likely to ensure their political destruction.

Chuck in the astounding willingness of Team Turnbull to throw almost half a billion dollars of taxpayers money, yours and mine, in the direction of a pro-Paris Accord Barrier Reef Foundation which hadn’t even asked for the money — no tenders necessary — and we’re at the beyond-parody stage.

Anyone else share my view that this is the worst Liberal government in the nation’s history?

For ineptitude, lack of tactical nous, arrogance, incompetence, and habitual treachery, he leaves all of history’s other dim-bulb contenders in the shade.

James Allan is Garrick Professor of Law at the University of Queensland and the author of Democracy in Decline

Comments [37]

1. Bwana Neusi says:

It is my humble belief that Turnbull intended all along to have the RET legislated. I would suggest that passing the draft to Labor was covertly coordinated with them to have their demands for regulation. The vegetables in the Coalition would then resist that thrust and support legislating instead. Either way his intent to put a carbon tax in place would be achieved.
    He didn’t account for the backlash against legislating “Paris” and he has queered his pitch with the Coalition members by passing the draft to the opposition.
    I suggest that they are now keeping their powder dry for a spill.

• Eeyore says:

A Machiavellian genius or a moron? Either way, he is special if only for making me ask myself how much worse Shorten could possibly be.

• ianl says:

> “He didn’t account for the backlash against legislating “Paris” and he has queered his pitch with the Coalition members by passing the draft to the opposition”

Examples of the two classic ploys of the irredeemable narcissist. Firstly, blindly overestimate the underwhelming power of one’s own brilliance in selling dross to obviously shallow idiots. Secondly, then turn sneaky because said shallow idiots couldn’t possibly see through it.

I’ve even heard someone from the Centre of “Independent” Studies argue that we have to accept the NEG as is because the ALP States will destroy anything else. In this view, the SA loons lead the world in advanced sackcloth and ashes.

Peak stupid.

• Jody says:

He’s a Cryto-Labor member anyway. Where is the surprise? I think Lucy Turnbull is possibly more malevolent and treacherous because I get the impression she’s the puppet master. And what a cold and cruel demeanour she wears.

2. Les Kovari says:

I suppose a civil war would be out of the question?

3. Mr Turnbull is approaching the level of delusion set by Doctor Evatt.

4. Jody says:

Turnbull will pay the ultimate price for his treachery. But we will ALL pay the price for a Labor government.

I used to be friends with “Doc” Evatt’s grandson and I got to meet his father, “Doc’s” son, at a party. Some months later he put a knife into a toaster and killed himself (the son, not the grandson). That’s a perfect metaphor for any Labor politician. I gather “Doc” wasn’t much of a father either!!

5. Keith Kennelly says:

Grahame Richardson’s article this morning did what everyone is doing, assessing who will replace Turnbull.

He too rubishes Turnbull and predicts, after assessing all the candidates, a Shorten PMship, just like Jody.

But I’ll then Jody runs on with a diatribe about Knowing former labor luminaries and their offspring and suicide.

Richardson runs on with a rant against Abbott.

That simply betrays the left wing hatred, of Abbott, is based in the fear of his abilities I destroy any candidate the left wing runs against him.

6. Keith Kennelly says:

Abbott has led the Liberals to wins before.
    The big problem for a Dutton PM ship is he’s likely going to lose his marginal seat.

That’s happened to the Libs before. The wiser conservatives will remember where the Linos have forgotten.

This argument will swing the majority behind Abbott.
    Hard politics will trump haters by the Linis , of Abbott

• Jody says:

Abbott; repealing 18C – FAIL
      set up Paris – FAIL
      no cuts to education – FAIL
      Walking like a neanderthal and using his tongue like a lizard – PASS

• Lo says:

A genetically determined difference in gait. More common in men. You are starting to play the man. We could all do it, just to different men.

• Jody says:

If it walks like a Neaderthal and talks like a Neanderthal…….He’s so hideously unattractive and it merely compounds his Prince Philip 1950s fetishism.

• Doubting Thomas says:

All this says more about you than it does about Abbott, Jody. Somebody writes Abbott’s name and your immediate knee-jerk reaction is another hate-filled ad hominem rant. Please give us a break.

• Keith Kennelly says:

Tony Abbott has a square gait.

He handsomely wins elections
            He is politically adept
            He is a capable leader
            He thinks like otrdinary oeople
            He is civil
            He is consistent
            He is conservative
            He talks people up
            He leads with policy attractive to his base
            He has attempted to reform the NSW liberal party
            He has an attractive and successful family
            He works hard
            He earns his money
            He engages in community work as a volunteer
            He identifies with the community
            He mixes well in the community
            And he has friends who think like he does

He is a thoroughly decent person

He is hated by the managerial classes
            He is hated by labor
            He is hated by Jody

Yep Jody can’t help but miss your often wrong and always disparaging remarks about events and people

You are a simple and negative person and in regard to conservative leaders, a hater.

7. en passant says:

The reason for the Liberal hack MP’s’ silence is that they cannot see anything wrong with treachery, moronic stupidity and the betrayal of their own conservative base that is simply there to serve them. They would sell their children’s future for a pottage of their generous pensions and green ministerial kool-aid. My decision to resign from the party when the ‘best of a bad bunch’ (Abbott) failed to make a serious attempt to repeal 18C now seems inspired, but in fact, it was a simple recognition that they were not the party I had enthusiastically joined 31 years previously.

I am not looking forward to their demise as their generous pensions will be just another burden for the Oz taxpayer bear for the remainder of their long lives as they move on to reap further rewards as UN hacks. I loved this country as once the greatest place to live, but now I am coming to despise its voter sheeples. There is no pride in supporting a losing team or a country in terminal, cultural, economic and social decline.

Surely this is the final revelation that will consign the Liberal Party to the dustbin of history? Not even replacing Turncoat can revive their fortunes as the same cabal of self-serving scum will remain at its core. I would rather cut off the hand that ticked the ballot paper than now vote Liberal.

There is no time to create a new conservative party, so what we need is a coalition of the Minor Parties (ON, LDP, FF, ALA, ACM {even the execrable Katter Klowns}, selected Liberal defectors and a dozen more). If these cats are not collectively herded, then they will all win their few percent of votes, be defeated individually and discarded leaving the juggernaut of the Labor-Green Globalists with a free run to finish off Oz sovereignty.

Remember Ricky Muir, the Motoring Enthusiasts Party Senator? If you do it is probably for the wrong reason thanks to his incoherent Willesee interview. Why I remember him is because he stood on principle and voted against a Bill that triggered the Great Leaders Delusional Double Dissolution. Ricky knew that he would lose his seat, but put principle first. “Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to compile a list of those politicians who you believe would put Australia and Principles before self-interest. You have 30-seconds from now …”.

By all means go to http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2017/04/agenda-destroy-australia/ and tell me what is wrong with this article about the deliberately engineered decline and destruction of Oz?

I have voted with my feet (actually via a comfortable hydrocarbon fueled plane), but I do return to Oz on occasion to watch and witness the decline of my chosen country as its once lovely flesh is deliberately peeled away in putrid PC pustules of self-loathing at these political lepers hands. Melbourne is now reputed to be the world’s second most livable city. Something as a former resident I find incomprehensible compared to my alternative abode. However, if you believe this in your green dreams please try walking the city streets at night, heating your home or just going to hear someone actually expressing their right to free speech …”

• LBLoveday says:

Quotes:

(1) “They would sell their children’s future for a pottage of their generous pensions..”
      (2) “…their generous pensions will be just another burden for the Oz taxpayer…”

Way back in 2004, 14 long years ago, Howard closed the Parliamentary Pension Scheme to newcomers, so every MP, Representative or Senator, elected for the first time at or after the 2004 Federal Election, is not a member of said scheme and receives no pension, generous or other, other than those available to all Australians, like Age & Disability pensions.

The following few Liberals are members of the Parliamentary Pension Scheme:

Abetz
      Colbeck
      Fifield
      MacDonald
      Payne
      Scullion

Broadbent may be as he was elected prior to 2004, defeated, then elected again in 2004. I can’t be bothered checking the legislation as my point is the same whether he is or isn’t – People should stop falsely accusing MPs of being eligible for “generous pensions”

8. pgang says:

I’d throw the Lake Macquarie City Council Liberal Party hacks into the same bag as the federal losers. And lets face it – The Vic and NSW state numbskulls too.

9. Jody says:

Tony Abbott is behind all this poison and that’s the reason he was dumped in the first place; an untrustworthy neaderthal. He couldn’t care less about the public good – this is sheer revenge. Wouldn’t you think a Rhodes Scholar could find something better to do? I mean, you’d have to be intelligent to rise about that and he is MIA in that regard.

The public is sick and tired of the politics of climate change; it’s well over a decade since Howard agrees with Rudd we needed an emissions trading scheme. Only sorry Howard encouraged Turnbull and destroyed Costello in the process, so much of the damage can be sheeted back home to Howard. I’m so glad he lost his seat; justice.

I feel sorry for Josh Frydenberg who has done all the legwork. What a thankless job when you have reptilian menace like Abbott lurking in the background. Turnbull will eventually go but the worst thing is the cancerous remnant Abbott.

• SJones says:

It’s disheartening to see your blind hatred of Tony Abbott and your criticism about the way he walks etc. He has integrity. He isn’t perfect, who is? He is smart, humble and loyal. It says a lot about his character that he has offered Dutton his full support in the coming days. Jody, I have read many of your comments and they are usually good reading, except when you stoop to character assassination of TA.

• Jody says:

He refused to let the party have a free vote on Same Sex marriage – it cost the Australian people a great deal of money and loss of face for the Coalition. He prepared the way for Paris (which he now disavows), he promised to repeal 18C and didn’t touch it; he made many promises before the 2013 election and broke all of them. The bloke is POISON. And a liar.

• Doubting Thomas says:

Please stop this, Jody. It’s totally unhinged.

• Jody says:

How do you manage in life to hear alternate opinions? I expect you’re going to hear quite a few about Tony including the one this morning from a National that he’s a ‘wrecker’ who needs to be dis-endorsed by the Liberals. I agree. Criticism which correctly calls out a politician’s odious traits is standard fare for “Quadrant” and “totally unhinged” – why are you constantly doing it yourself with regard to the Coalition. Remember this expression: ‘don’t do as I do, do as I say”.

Tony appeals to the over 70s and that’s all – except my husband, who is that age and who detests him as a relic of 1955.

• Jody says:

And when you tell somebody to ‘please stop’ you are behaving no differently to the fascist left you so regularly criticize.

• Doubting Thomas says:

I have no problem with alternate opinions, Jody. I have no difficulty with people disliking Tony Abbott or any other political animal. It’s pretty much my default position – the Abbott walk gets up my nose too. And I wasn’t aware that I or anyone else was “constantly doing it … with regard to the Coalition”. With the possible exception of personal criticism of Turnbull, which I admit have been pretty full-on, it’s mostly been the policies or lack of them being criticised. But it’s your constant, repetitive, almost knee-jerk abuse of Abbott that is just plain BORING.

And you know, or ought to, that I’ve defended you frequently when I believed that attacks on you by others in here have been unreasonable. I’ll stop that to.

• en passant says:

Jody,
          Show us that you are not actually as unhinged and hateful as you sound by listing (without reservation) five best things about Abbott.

• Jody says:

You were ‘unhinged and hateful’ to Ian MacDougall who used to write on these pages. I remember the bitterness and vitriol simply because he didn’t share your ideology and because he proved himself somebody who could read and reason. All hell broke loose because he challenged your pious platitudes from the extreme right about how right you are and how wrong he and everybody else was. Bigotry on an industrial scale and you’ve got the lack of self-awareness and temerity to accuse others of what you do every day yourself. These are called PROJECTIONS. Look it up.

10. Keith Kennelly says:

See my post in response to your low attack on his physical traits. There are a few tips there Jody.

• Jody says:

It’s the trojan horse for you, Keith, because it masks your own insecurities which you have on display every time you write something here. You’re a classic woman-hater and I think we all know why.

• en passant says:

Jody,
        I repeat: demonstrate to us that you are not so hatefully unhinged as you appear by listing five good things about Abbott.

As for the MacBot Troll, he/it simply repeated endlessly the same meme that rising seas were going to drown us all, the mythical climate change was frying the planet, etc, etc. It wasn’t that he disagreed with me, but he ranted and raved wrong rubbish, even accusing me of ‘racism’. When I pointed out that I have had a happy marriage an Asian lady the ‘never wrong’ MacBot went further and doubled down on his accusation. He was a disgusting troll without much merit who never answered the two simple ‘trick’ questions: 1. What is the ideal level of CO2 concentration he sought & 2. What is the ideal global average temperature. This would just trigger another torrent of rising seas ad homs, etc.

It was sort of like asking you to demonstrate to us that you are not so hatefully unhinged as you appear by listing five good things about Abbott and never getting a reply, but just triggering from you another torrent of anti-Abbott ad homs

11. Keith Kennelly says:

Saying I have insecurities only tells us they are issued in your own life.
    Your displays of hatred are an obvious sign of insecurity as are your episodes of ‘spilling your guts’ about all sorts of your private crap. Such stuff as the chook business through your teaching career, your ownership of assets and cars, the success of your wine making son, and all the famous people you know.

Mate I think I’ve just presented a list of the narcissistic attitudes you do often reveal here.
    That is a precursor to insecurity.

I’ve suffered numerous personal abuses from you over a fairly long period of time.

Woman hater is another in that long list. No evidence, no examples and no rational debate just you spitting the usual mouthful of poisonous seed and fertiliser.

You never ever support or debate the idiotic ideas you spout.
    When your views are legitimately challenged all you do is slander and name call.

Now let’s look at some common lłLet’s see, me… successful male,
    Abbott … successful male.
    Trump …. successful male.

Is it the success or the sex you hate?

• Jody says:

This really is hilarious!! I’ve had a good laugh. One of the abiding traits of a real narcissistic personality disorder (you) is PROJECTION. Trying to project your own perfidy onto others, eg. Look what YOU did to Me – when a narcissist does that he (usually a he) is telling us all about himself. My clinical psychologist sister has discussed this with me over the years and you fit the bill to perfection. Anger, failed relationships, gaslighting, projections, denial and an overweening sense of self-importance. Quit now, while you’re head. But narcissists never do – they are nothing if not resilient. That’s another trait. Oh, and substance abuse to mask their empty lives.

• Jody says:

Oh, and Keith, don’t let your jealousy betray you also when you point the finger at the success of my family. Four children, husband wife married 45 years and happy. A man who writes bitterly about having to raise children without a female in the house, as you have done over and over, has no business pointing a bone at absolutely ANYBODY. And the resentments about your lack of education shine through all the other iterated garbage which you spew at regular intervals. You must talk in your sleep, “university”, “educated idiots”, “managerial class”. These actually demonstrate your own shortfalls. A person who wasn’t obsessed wouldn’t go on and on and on and on about these things. Get help, mate.

• Keith Kennelly says:

The help you’ve received certainly has not impacted positively.
          I’ll merely add nobody has ever had the inclination to talk with me about narcissism or any other psychological condition.

Hohohohohoho

Btw have you read the letters to the Ed in the Australian today?

Seems they see my opinions fit to be published.

Would they publish yours?

I think not.

• Keith Kennelly says:

I see, so you’ve had chats with a professional psychologist over years about narcissistic behaviour?

Hahahaha

• Keith Kennelly says:

Seems the ‘chats’ haven’t had much of an impact on you.

Nobody has ‘chatted’ to me about narcissism nor any other psychological condition … ever.

Hohohohoho

Btw have you read the letters to the editor this morning (Australian). Seems they think my opinions valid and worth publishing.

Would they publish your rants?
          I think not.

12. Keith Kennelly says:

Jody
    There is a major difference between us.

You talk about your possessions and you name drop.
    You don’t support your views with corroborations.

I talk about the things I’ve done, and of which I’m proud.
    I also quote others who, are as well read as I am, and who have expressed views similar to mine.

Check with your psych, about those and narcissism.